Gun violence has plagued the United States for far too long. This year there have been 9,152 deaths from guns and 257 mass shootings. A majority of Americans want common-sense gun reform. If elected, I will support:
- Ban the sale and distribution of assault weapons. Assault weapons like the AR-15 are weapons of war. While in the military, I used the M16, that weapon was derived from the AR-15.
- Background checks for everyone, especially private sales, to ensure potential gun owners aren’t on the National Database.
- Police substations in schools. (Let police come, set up substations where they can sit and write reports while maintaining a constant presence in our schools
- Mandatory gun safety classes for first-time buyers.
- Retailers selling firearms to customers across state lines should adhere to the laws where the buyer resides.
- Extend the three-day waiting period for law enforcement officers to perform background checks sufficiently.
- Fund the CDC research on gun violence.